What to look for when test driving a used vehicle
Buying a car can be a stressful experience. What make and model, new or used, SUV, crossover, or sedan, are all questions that you have to think about. You decided that you want to purchase a used vehicle. That is an awesome first step! Next, you will want to think about the make and model vehicle you want and eventually, you will want to take it for a test drive. Below we have put together a short guide of what to look for when test driving a used vehicle. Hopefully, you will find this beneficial!
How to test drive a used car
Before you even get into the vehicle and drive it, you should do the following things:
- Walk around and make sure the paint matches and everything is attached
- Check the brake pads, they should be thick
- Push down on all four corners of the bumpers to make sure the shocks are in good shape
- Open and shut everything to make sure they actually open and then close tightly
- Look under the car for liquids dripping
You have given the car a once over on the outside. Now it is time to do the same thing on the inside by doing the following:
- Sit in the driver’s seat and adjust it so that you are comfortable
- Do the same for the passenger and back seats, make sure there is no damage and that there is plenty of room for your passengers
- Look under the floor mats to make sure there is no damage
Once you have completed inspecting the interior, it is time to start driving. Here are the things you should look for and listen to while on your test drive:
- Start the car and make sure it does not make any funny noises as it starts
- Keep the noises inside of the vehicle to a dull roar so that you can listen for any clunks that should not be there
- Do not go just around the block, find a road that is at least 60 mph so that you can hear the engine accelerate
- Check cruise control, radio, heating, air conditioning, etc. to make sure that they all work
Read More: Where can I get a vehicle history report?
Where can I test drive a used car near Longview?
Stop on down to AutoSmart! We have three locations in Longview, Tyler, and Texarkana. We are more than happy to help get you into the driver’s seat of a used vehicle. Do not forget to ask about our financing options!